August Lock Gen3 installation on deadbolt with spindle attached to thumbturn : Locksmith

I recently purchased a August Lock Gen3 for my apartment and I realized that my deadbolt’s thumbturn(?) is attached to the spindle, making it incompatible for installation. I took it to a local locksmith and they said they don’t have the right spindle and its simply not compatible However, I feel like if I can right sized spindle, I can somehow make it work.

Here a picture of the deadbolt/knob with spindle attached:

Anyone had any experience with making this type of installation work or am I just out of luck here?

Appreciate any help offered!

Source link

Deadbolt with spindle/cam attached to thumbturn…does it have a special name? : Locksmith

I wish I had found this subreddit a few weeks ago when I was trying to install a smart lock. I ordered an August Gen3 smartlock, the kind that replaces the thumbturn on the deadbolt, so you don’t have to completely replace the lock.

I thought everything was on track…my lock seemed to match the ‘compatible’ locks picture…until I removed the thumbturn on the back side of the door. The way the August smart lock (and other similar setups) work is by sitting on top of the spindle/cam (I think that’s the right name), and then using a small integrated motor to turn the spindle and unlock the lock. Except, when I unscrewed and removed the thumbturn from my door, the spindle came with it!

In my case, the spindle appears to be permanently attached to the thumbturn, rather than the lock cylinder; there’s a hole on the back of the lock cylinder that the spindle slides into, but since it’s fixed to the thumbturn, the smart lock setup I had hope to use won’t work.

So, finally, I’ll get to my point…is there a special name for these deadbolts? Where the spindle is attached to the thumbturn, instead of the lock cylinder? It seems like a backwards setup from all of the other single deadbolt examples I’ve seen, but I’d like to know if it has a special name so I can keep an eye out for it on compatibility lists for future smart locks that I look for.

TL;DR – most single deadbolts seem to have the lock spindle/cam attached to the lock cylinder, with the thumbturn fitting over the top…is there a special name when the spindle is attached to the thumbturn instead?

Source link

I need a brass key, exactly like the attached sketch, can anyone help? : Locksmith

As weird as it might sound, I need an old school brass key exactly like the one on the sketch. The most important parts are the top (almost round with the small ‘arrow’ part) and the two ‘prongs’, one a plain rectangle, and one slanted and pointy. Any help would be appreciated! Willing to pay for shipping and manufacturing if needed 🙂 I’m in the US

Source link

Call Now ButtonCall Now!