Are there replacements for this old mortise lock that are secure by modern standards? : Locksmith

Not really, short of ordering from overseas and having a good locksmith that knows how to refit mortise locks. Britain, UK and others still use these with secure designs but they will take some modification and a bit of work to match backset (yours is likely 2 1/2 or rarely 2 3/4) Don’t ask me to convert that to metric because I’m a dumb American.

Also you need the measurements between hub (where the knob goes through) to middle of key post so your plates will work.

You might can find some three lever old Yale but if yours are single lever you will again have to do a bit of super sketchy woodwork.

Even three lever US variety will have the short/small bolt though which isn’t great for forced entry

Most people have updated deadbolts drilled above them for the security. Looks…icky with cheap locks but you can get some brands of deadbolts with a smaller footprint like estate style Baldwin and such

Also also, regular deadbolts have a 2 3/8 or 2 3/4 backset which means it will visually be “off” on center looking at it if your backset is 2 1/2

Last option and more “period” would be getting a Yale rim lock installed above it, either the bolt style or jimmyproof. This is how the security was upgraded back when these were done and are actually good forced entry (most of these old doors just bust apart though honestly) and you can order rim cylinders in many higher security key styles if your worried about the surreptitious entry aspect.


added: I work on these locks daily and would be probably be disgruntled if you ordered locks from Britain without consulting first so unless you know your way around a chisel and can make sure your imperial to metric measurements are correct, you definitely need to find a older locksmith in your area that knows mortise locks like this

Source link

Call Now ButtonCall Now!